Smelly feet and shoes can really dampen your self-esteem. Sometimes you want to take your shoes off and let them breathe, but you can’t do that because you’re probably in a room full of people. Better to keep them on than get a nickname, right? Smelly feet and shoes are quite normal. As long as you’re human and you sweat, your feet and shoes will yield bacteria growth that, over time, produces unwanted foot and shoe odour. The intensity of the odour only varies with people, depending on how much they sweat and how well they manage it.
Smelly shoes are only a result of accumulated sweat and bacteria on the feet. There are two ways to deal with this: first with the feet, and then with the shoes. Here are some tips to help you get rid of smelly feet and shoes. First, take a look at the 5 must-have footwear items for men.
1. TREAT THE CAUSE
The feet have more sweat glands than other parts of the body, so it isn’t so out of place to have sweaty feet. The only downside is that it creates a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, including fungi. Warm and moist might not sound yummy to you, but it sure spikes some excitement in the bacteria world. Accumulated sweat and bacteria growth will only make your feet and shoes stink. Be the First to Experience the Exquisite Spring/Summer Issue of e-fab; Join the Fab community now!
The first step to eliminating foot and shoe odour is to adopt good hygiene. We all pay attention to washing every part of our body and only do a quick scrub on the feet. Sit and gently scrub each foot, properly scrubbing in between the toes to get off the dirt. Here are things to do to treat the cause:
- Exfoliate your feet to shed dead skin cells.
- Cut your toenails; they are the building site for bacteria.
- Soak your feet in epsom salt or vinegar at least twice a week to help with the perspiration.
- Wash your feet twice a day if you sweat a lot.
- Dry your feet properly before putting on any shoes.
- Wear socks with good moisture absorption. Always wear clean socks.
2. SHOE HYGIENE
Nothing about clean feet in a dirty shoe feels right. Clean your shoes as often as you can. The shoes smell because of the moisture absorbed from the feet. If you can’t wash them often because of their durability, then you can clean and air them in the sun to get the trapped smell out. The perfect remedy for the growing bacteria in the shoes is an antibacterial. Use an antibacterial spray and leave the shoes air-conditioned overnight. Don’t miss Fashion Amidst Conservative Norms: The Fabian Schumacher Story. Here are some tips to help you keep a clean shoe:
- Use insoles
- Space it out; consistent wearing will not give your shoes a breathing space.
3. HOME REMEDIES
While you treat the cause and adopt good foot hygiene, here are some things to help you reduce and eliminate the already caked odours in your footwear’s
- Dab alcohol into your insoles.
- Leave one dryer sheet in each of your shoes overnight.
- Put your shoes in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer for a few hours.
- Lemons have an amazing, refreshing smell, so leaving them on your shoes overnight can help absorb the smell. Stay up to date on the newest in the world of Fashion, Arts, Beauty and Lifestyle; Follow FAB on socials.
You are FAB